Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Essdacks Small Fry "Un-nesting my home"

Many of you have heard the term "I am nesting". Many women expecting babies "nest" as their delivery date nears. They organize, clean and prepare for that little one to enter their home and more importantly their lives. Well, I am "un-nesting" my home! I am not sure if "un-nesting" is actually a word in Webster's, but it works for what I am doing. Tim and I have been in our 2-story 1924 colonial home for 22 years. Needless to say a family accumulates many things in their lives together. Even though my children have been gone from this home for 15 plus years there are still things of theirs and ours that need to be removed. I began yesterday with a decluttering plan starting with the second story and plan on working down to the basement. All of this is an effort to bring peace of mind to me that everything has been cleaned out. If it is possible for Tim and I to agree on the home, at some point in the future we will move to a ranch style house, to be enjoyed as much as we have enjoyed our 2-story colonial.

I know that it is much harder for some to get rid of stuff than others. For me, I figure I have all the memories of all the stuff so I don't actually need to see it. For others it is total torture and painful to throw away or give away their stuff. I am constantly aware that everything has value to someone, especially to those I love the most. Of course, my children have moved on and are accumulating their own stuff so they don't want their old stuff. Well, at this point in time, some executive decisions will have to be made, and guess who will make those decisions. That would be me, "Mom". Someday they will thank me for my actions.

To all of you have an awesome day! Enjoy the wonderful sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment